Friday, April 1, 2011

BACON & TOMATO PASTA!

I've made this one several times; it's easy and always so good!


A Guy Fieri recipe:
No modifications necessary!

Ingredients:
  • 2 tablespoons kosher salt
  • 16 ounces whole wheat spaghetti pasta
  • 1 pound thick-cut bacon, chopped
  • 3 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
  • 1 cup red onion, diced
  • 1 teaspoon red chili flakes
  • 3 tablespoons garlic, minced
  • 2 cups Roma tomatoes, diced
  • 1/4 cup red wine (not too important which kind - we just choose whatever we want to drink with dinner)
  • 4 tablespoons fresh basil, chiffonade (stack the basil leaves flat on top of each other, tightly roll them up together, and cut into thin slivers)
  • 1/4 cup freshly grated Parmesan
  • Salt and freshly ground black pepper

Directions:

  1. In a large stock pot, boil 3 quarts of water, when boiling add 2 tablespoons kosher salt and the pasta and cook until the pasta is al dente.
  2. In a large saute pan over medium heat, add bacon and saute until bacon is crispy. Remove bacon to drain on a paper towel-lined plate and remove 3/4 of the bacon fat from the pan. Add extra-virgin olive oil, onions, and red chili flakes. Cook until onions are translucent, add garlic, cook for 2 minutes then add tomatoes. Saute for 5 minutes, then deglaze with wine.
  3. Drain pasta and add to the tomato mixture pan. Add basil and bacon. Toss with Parmesan, and add salt and pepper, to taste


The bacon nice and toasty!

Sauteeing the red onion

With the garlic and tomatoes

Deglazing the pan
Serve the bacon tomato pasta with the rest of the red wine! (Our wine for the night)
I wanted to share this recipe since it's so easy to make and it's quick and delicious!  It's very simple, but the flavors are so prominent.  If you love bacon, make this!!  We add a little red pepper and freshly grated parmesan before serving.  We've realized that a fresh block of parmesan lasts a while, so we think it's worth buying to have some freshly grated parmesan on hand!

(Side note: we ate this Wednesday night; Lenten Friday fish meal will be posted in a few days!)

7 comments:

  1. This looks so simple yet delicious to make. I will have to try this one day! Love the blog, Antonette!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks! If you try stuff, I'd love to know how it went, and comment if you have any modifications or suggestions for next time!

    ReplyDelete
  3. dude, that's one of my fave bottles of wine! DIABLO!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I made the pasta for dinner tonight! Turned out really yummy! I made some modifications because I didn't have time to shop before I started dinner, so I just used what I had on hand. White onions instead of red, not enough tomatoes, and I didn't have fresh parmesan. Still delish! I'll try again soon when I'm more prepared. I really just wanted to eat bacon for dinner. :P I love bacon.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Yea, sounds like it's hard to go wrong with bacon!

    ReplyDelete